Friday, October 10, 2014

Bards of the Blogosphere: Week 3 Chapter 8- The Reunion



N.B. - This is the eighth chapter of the third week in the 'Game of Blogs' by the team 'Bards of the Blogosphere'. #CelebrateBlogging

Read the previous chapter (7) here



I start my day with your thoughts.
I pray to you every night
to be happy and safe-
wherever you are,
be the one u are
because change is constant
and the world is ever-changing
but your soul must never change
Because that's the only one i know
that's the only one i feel.

The train of thoughts suddenly stopped with the screeching sound of the wheels. The car pulled over at the road beside the jail. Jennifer was not sure what should she feel- Should she be relaxed that her battle is over, should she be relieved that the love of her life is safe, should she be anxious that she’s going to meet him after so many days. So many stories to tell, so many sorrows to absorb, so much pain to steal- it made her shudder to remember those nights when she woke up screaming his name. 

But he was still unaware- unaware of the fact that his worst days are over. He had heard the jail staff discussing about some Ahuja being the real killer who surrendered himself. He was perplexed whether it was a rumor or he was just being too optimistic. He closed his eyes and sat against the wall praying for a miracle to happen. A number of footsteps disturbed him enough to peer through the bars- Jennifer was there with a lawyer. She shook hands with the inspector, explained him something, handed him some papers. The inspector was cordial to her, agreeing to something and guided her to the waiting area. Whatever happened next was like a dream. The inspector came to him and said, “Mr. Cyrus, the real murderer is behind the bars, we have received your release order. It will take us some time to finish the paperwork. You can wait in the waiting area with your friend. I would like to apologize on behalf of the police department but we were bound by duty. I know it would be difficult but I hope you would be able to forgive us and move on with your life. I personally believe you are doing a very good job by helping the innocent victims of human trafficking. Your research can provide us a lot of help to bust such rackets. Hope to meet you soon again but for the right reason.” The inspector tried to be jolly but he knew it was not enough to ease Cyrus who was traumatized by the turn of events. 

The lawyer was busy with the paperwork. Jennifer was the only soul in the waiting area except a constable who was busy scolding his wife on phone. She was restless and that was evident from her frequent change of postures. She wanted to rest her head against Cyrus’s chest and sleep for a while with his arms around her. This thought was making her anxious. The moment Cyrus saw her sitting nervously on the bench, he wanted to pull her in her arms and kiss her- forehead, then cheeks followed by lips. There was a storm of emotions but the consciousness of being at a public place forced them to manage with a smile only. But what a smile it was. Jenny could not stop blushing and Cy could not take his eyes off her face. 

“I didn’t know you are a Sherlock Holmes in the guise of a pretty photographer.” 

Jenny giggled like a small girl. “Stop teasing me. I just did what it takes to be with you Mr. Cyrus.”, she said playfully. 

Cy took two steps closer to her and asked, “So Miss Jennifer, did you get what you wanted?” 

“Well, I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.” 

“No but seriously, how did you end up saving me all by yourself? I am impressed and grateful but more than that I am amazed and confused too.” 

“I didn’t do anything, just a little courage and everything else fell into place. But I was not alone. I had Roohi, Shekhar and Tara by my side. You know Roohi- that little girl of ten years is so mature. She gave me solace when I had none. Tara and Shekhar is a wonderful couple. And not to forget my Menon uncle- I spent the first 15 years of my life at his house as a tenant. He has no children so he has always considered me as his daughter. He was a very successful criminal lawyer and later became a judge. He is retired now but has contacts with police and criminals as well. He was the one who arranged a gun for me because he was worried about my safety. He could not use his position directly but indirectly, he helped me in every way he could.” 

“I would like to meet everyone and thank them for the help. However, I feel so lost. I spent so many years roaming in the dirty lanes, visiting brothels and other forbidden places just to help people like Ahuja. I never expected anyone to recognize my efforts, appreciate it but this was the least I expected. As a human being I am very disappointed.” 

“I know Cy and I am not trying to justify anything but this was nothing personal. It was sheer luck that you were there at the wrong place and wrong time. You have given so many years of your life to this cause and it’s understandable that you are so agonized at the thought of small children being traded. Just think about a father who lost his only child, his only family to the lust of the society. Do you think that man had any sanity left? Instead of thinking of quitting this battle you should rather think how to stop any father from becoming another Ahuja. You should work towards making their voice heard. And this case has earned you millions of ears. Your blog is the biggest hit in the blogosphere. You should make the best use of it. And you are not alone. I am with you.” 

“You know Jenny, after losing my parents I was never sure I would have a family of my own. But one day you came out of the blue and changed everything. You loved me like a lover does. You protected me like a father. Now you are scolding me like a mother. I thought of it several times that day but I was scared you would say no. The only thing I want from my life now is….” 

“Stop! Stop there right now. Why the hell were you kneeling down? Don’t tell me you are going to propose me. Are you serious?”, screamed Jenny in anger. 

Cy was not expecting this. He had an expression of a child who was standing in front of his mother after breaking some expensive stuff. “Did I do something wrong? I thought we love each other and want to spend our life…” 

“Of course, it’s wrong. Just imagine: Ten years later, my kids would ask me how dad proposed you. What would I say? Kids, your dad proposed me in a jail.”, Jenny tried hard to maintain her frown. 

“You frightened me, you fat lady.” 

“Don’t mess with me else I will run away.” 

“I will never let that happen. I will never let you go anywhere without me.” He ignored the people gazing at them and pulled her into his arms. Jenny cried softly but wiped her face with a quick stroke of hand. Closing her eyes, she thanked God and her mother who taught her the lessons of being good and being patient. 

Read the next part here

The team Bards of the Blogosphere comprises of Divyakshi, Priyanka Roy, Priyanka Victor, Arpita, Datta, Neeraj, Nupur, Sulekha, Maria and Roshan.

“Me and my team are participating in ‘Game Of Blogs’ at BlogAdda.com. #CelebrateBlogging with us.”


1 comment: